Reporting To: Center Director
Employee Classification: Non-Exempt
Summary: The Assist Teacher has the desire, skills and education to nurture young minds, foster creativity, and age-appropriate social interaction. Assist in planning and implementing a safe and developmentally appropriate preschool education in accordance with all relevant legislation, policies, and procedures.
Salary: Starting at a minimum of $15.25 per hour
- Assist in planning and implementing developmentally appropriate classroom curriculum and in all aspects of the daily management of the program, including compliance with the safety and health standards established by the government.
- Foster each child’s self-confidence, learning, and growth. Nurture and encourage children through positive communication.
- Maintain health compliance in accordance with licensing standards and employee policies, including ability to interact fully with all students, lifting, holding, and attending to them as needed at all times.
- Ensure a healthy classroom environment – including maintaining appropriate hygiene and cleanliness standard and safety and security of children.
- Daily cleaning and disinfecting of classroom materials, classroom environment, and common areas, such as a bathroom.
- Meal preparation and clean up.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 2 years direct professional experience in early childhood setting.
- Strong reading, writing and mathematics skills.
- Ability to work well with others (staff, children, and parents) and to foster a team environment.
- A strong understanding of child development.
- Act as a responsible Mandated Reporter.
- Maintain personal professional development plans to ensure continuous quality improvement.
- Prior experience or familiarity with the Creative Curriculum and CPR/First Aid Certification a plus.
- Associate of Arts in Early Childhood Education (Required)
- CDA Certification (Preferred)
- Bilingual (Spanish) proficiency (Preferred)
- Infant/child CPR and First Aid Certification.
- Certification CPR and First Aid (Preferred)
- At a minimum, 24 hours of professional development must be obtained annually with at least 50 percent or 12 hours specific to early childhood education. Professional development hours may include hours facilitated by a Pennsylvania Quality Assurance System (PQAS)-certified instructor, providing ACT 48 creditor college classes.
- Must clear full background check
- Must pass health screening
- Must be able to lift at least 30 lb. weight.
- Must be able to climb and descend stairs.
- Must be able to move around a classroom for gross motor exercise with the children and to monitor the safety of all students in the classroom, standing for long periods throughout the day.
This description contains information and facts considered necessary to accurately reflect the duties of this position. It should not be considered and exhaustive description of all the work requirements to be performed, but indicates the kinds of duties and levels of responsibility required by the position. The Executive Director and his/her designee will have the prerogative of adding or deleting responsibilities as circumstances may require.