When Robin first realized she would have to live in a homeless shelter last fall, she had visions of bunk beds, foot lockers and 6:00 a.m. wake-up calls.
“I had this whole vision of what a shelter looked like,” she said. “I was scared.”
But once stepping into Third Street Alliance, those visions faded and gratitude overtook her feelings toward living in shelter.
At this time last fall, Robin was living in the shelter at Third Street Alliance with her teenage son and youngest daughter. This fall Robin and her youngest daughter moved into their own apartment, and Robin has not forgotten all that was done for her while in the shelter program.
Robin is grateful for the support she and her family received during her time here, including:
· An eye exam and new glasses, provided through a program offered by The Lion’s Club
· Small bags of personal items from donors in the community
· Before and after school care for her younger daughter provided through scholarships made possible by you, our donors
· Domestic abuse counseling sessions provided by Turning Point of the Lehigh Valley
· Support offered to her son and older daughter by Valley Youth House
“Gratitude is not the right word. I don’t know where I would be if it wasn’t for Third Street Alliance. I don’t know where my children would be if they didn’t help us,” Robin said. “These things are appreciated.”
Since moving out of Third Street Alliance, Robin and her daughter are doing well in their apartment. Robin is focusing on her full-time job while she works on obtaining her college degree at Northampton Community College. Robin is enjoying the challenge of being in the classroom.
Robin and her daughter are also looking forward to volunteer at Third Street Alliance through the holiday season to give back to the agency.
“I am extremely grateful and will always be thankful of Third Street Alliance,” Robin said.